Prior to destroying any and all records, regardless of location and form,
employees of Bridgewater State University must follow the Massachusetts
Statewide Retention Schedule that is produced under the statutory provisions of
Massachusetts General Laws ch. 4, § 7(26), c. 30 § 42, and c. 66, §§ 1, 8
and 9. This schedule supersedes all other special, general, or department-wide
records disposition schedules. In addition, this schedule applies to all types
of records, regardless of media or format, including those found in electronic
form, audiotape, and hardcopy.
- Retain a copy of the 02-11 Records Retention Schedule from the Office of
Human Resources or online on the Massachusetts Archives website:
- Locate the appropriate item number that is associated with the documents you want
to request to destroy.
- Complete the Form RCB-2 which can be found online on the Massachusetts
- Prior to submitting RCB-2 to Human Resources, the head of the department must
review and approve this request. (Number 4 on RCB-2).
- Submit to the Office of Human Resources, Boyden Hall Rm 103 for final
- The Office of Human Resource will verify the RCB-2 for accuracy and then
submit to the Records Conservation Board for approval if applicable.
- Once the Records Conservation Board has approved the Application for
Destruction Permission, a letter of approval is sent to the Office of Human
Resources. A copy of this letter will be sent to the department head who is
listed on the RCB-2 form.
- After permission is received, departments may then destroy the approved documents.
- Departments are then
responsible for their own destruction.
- If a department has access to a shredder, the best practice would be to
shred documents if amount is minimal.
- If amount of documents to be
destroyed exceeds 2 file boxes, the department may request the use of a
confidential bin from Facilities Management and Planning, Waste
Management. Contact Waste Management at 508-531-2563 to request a
bin. This bin will be brought to your department and documents will be placed in
bin. This bin is then removed and documents are shredded and destroyed.
- A separate form (RCB-2E)must be used to request to scan
and destroy documents. Please contact Allison Pickup in the office of Human
Resources for information prior to scanning.
- If you have any materials that may be of historic value to the
University, please contact Mr. Orson Kingsley in Library Services/Special
Collections at 508-531-1389 to consult with him prior to making a request to
RETENTION SCHEDULE 02/11
To access the State Retention Schedule 02/11, please visit the Massachusetts Archives website:
If you would like borrow a hard copy, please email
Allison Pickup in the Office of Human Resources.
To access the records destruction form RCB-2, please access the Massachusetts
Massachusetts Statewide Records Retention Presentation for Bridgewater State University-
RECORDS RETENTION TRAINING
Training will be proved on the following dates and time:
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013
10:00am - 11:00am in Library MDR
If you have any questions regarding records retention, please contact
Allison Costa in the Office of Human Resources at 508-531-6126.
Last Modified: April 30, 2013