Mary E. Corcoran (1992)
Mary Corcoran graduated from Emmanuel College with a major in Chemistry.
She served as an instructor in the Chemistry Department at Emmanuel
while completing a Masters program at Boston College. She has taught
Chemistry, Physical Science, Oceanography, and Earth Science at Winthrop
High School in Winthrop, Massachusetts since 1955. Mary served as
the Science Department Head from 1960 to 1973. She was appointed to
the K-12 Science Supervisor position for the Winthrop School System
Mary has had the opportunity to participate in eleven National Service
Foundation Institutes at various sites from Boston to Berkeley. She
has developed a popular Oceanography/Marine Science program with an
emphasis on the Boston Harbor/ Massachusetts Bay environment. She
was a founding member of the North Shore Science Supervisors Association,
which became an affiliate of the Massachusetts Association of Science
Supervisors in 1967. Mary served as a member of the Board of Directors
and the Board of CPIMSE, a Chairperson, and a participant in Project
WISE for the organization. She was finally elected President of the
M.A.S.S. in 1983.
In 1983, Mary involved herself in the Project for the Improvement
of Math and Science Education, a project that provided professional
development opportunities to teachers on the North Shore. This project
currently involves 34 school systems and over 650 participating teachers.
Mary is an active member of the National Science Teachers Association.
She served as the Director of Supervision from 1985 to 1987, as the
National Convention Co-Chairperson in 1984, and as the Chair in 1992.
She will act as Chairperson in the convention scheduled for 1999.
- Named Massachusetts Association of Science Teachers Outstanding
Educator of Suffolk County in 1995
- Inducted into the Massachusetts Hall of Fame of Science Educators
- Received Winthrop School Committee Tributes in 1992 & 1995
- Invited Participant of NSTA/Chevron Off-Shore Platform Briefing
and Tour in Santa Barbara in 1986
- Named Massachusetts Outstanding Science Educator in 1985
- Invited Participant of NASA Science Educators, Launch of Discovery
- Elected President of the Massachusetts Association of Science
Supervisors in 1983
- Served as a member of the Board of Directors, a Chairperson,
a member of the Board of CPIMSE, and a participant in Project
- Appointed to K-12 Science Supervisor for the Winthrop School
System in 1973
Last Modified: October 7, 2004