Graduation Central - Undergraduate
Approval Process for "Walking" in the May 2013 Commencement Ceremony
- A student who will not finish his or her degree requirements during the spring semester but who wishes to participate in the May commencement ceremony must meet the following criteria:
- A cumulative and major GPA(Grade Point Average) of 2.0** at the end of the fall semester;
- A maximum of six (6) *** credit hours to complete during summer 2013; and
- An up-to-date degree audit with all adjustments such as waivers or substitutions completed.
- If these criteria have been met, a student may submit a request to “walk” to the Office of Academic Affairs between February 1 and April 15. That request should be addressed to:
Mary E. Ellis
Student Resolution Specialist
Office of Academic Affairs
Bridgewater State University
Bridgewater, MA 02325
If a student meets the preliminary criteria, he or she will receive a letter notifying the student of his/her eligibility to "walk."
To receive final approval to "walk," a student must do the following during the month of April:
Register for the necessary summer courses(s) during the first week of summer registration.
- If the student is planning to take the course(s) at another college, he or she must provide a copy of the Transfer of Credit Taken After Admission form(s) with signatures to the Office of Academic Affairs by April 15, 2013.
- If the student is planning to do an internship, directed study, or practicum during the summer, he or she must provide a copy of the necessary form with signatures to the Office of Academic Affairs by April 15, 2013.
Apply for August graduation in the Registrar’s Office after his/ her summer registration is complete, but no later than April 15, 2013.
Once an eligible student's summer registration and graduation application status are verified, the student will receive a second letter notifying him/her that final approval to "walk" has been granted.
The name of the approved "walker" will then be sent to the Office of Student Affairs. The student should consult Graduation Central at www.bridgew.edu/graduation/spring for information about the ceremony.
If all deadlines above are met, the student's name will appear in the Commencement Program. It will not, however, be sent to the media in May. Since the student will not officially graduate until August upon completion of his/her degree requirements, his/her name will be sent to the media with the names of other August graduates. The student will receive his or her diploma from the Registrar’s Office upon verification that all graduation requirements have been met. Details about when diplomas will be available will be posted on the BSU website.
- Questions about this process should be directed to Mary E. Ellis, Student Resolution Specialist, at 508-531-2860 or email@example.com. Revised 7/12
**Any student who is seeking a waiver of this requirement should contact the Student Resolution Specialist before submitting a request to "walk."
***Any student who must take a 4-credit science course(s) may have seven (7) or eight (8) credits to complete during summer 2013.