Office of Student Employment
The Student Employment program for the Fall 2020 is going to be a modified program. Student positions will be offered where feasible. Safety will be the number one priority for all.
We are working on a PowerPoint presentation to explain the changes for fall Student Employment hires. We will send this out as soon as it is ready for you.
Semester Work Dates
- Non-Work Study — Aug. 16-Dec. 17, 2020
- Work Study — Sept. 2-Dec. 9, 2020
- Graduate Assistant — Sept. 14-Dec. 24, 2020
- On-campus jobs — students may work on-campus bearing in mind the office capacity is currently 25% including all full-time staff and student(s).
- Remote jobs — students perform work in a telecommute capacity with a workplan in place with deliverables/documentation of work performed.
- Blend jobs — positions that can change from on-campus work to remote if circumstances arise and campus moves to remote only.
Post Positions for Fall
- Complete the position request in PeopleAdmin as you would normally including all job duties for the position.
- Each position will need to be designated as either on campus, remote, or a blend in case of emergency (if applicable).
- Link to COVID Risk Policy will be added to all student positions.
- Remote/Blend positions will require:
- Workplan submitted at hire.
- Deliverable or documentation of work performed will be required to be maintained by the student employee supervisor in case of audit.
New Requirements for Student Positions
- Safety protocols must be followed.
- Healthy to report to work.
- Space available for work.
- Everyone feels safe working.
- Safety training completed by all.
- Both Non-Work Study and Work Study students are eligible to work remote with applicable job duties.
Continued Requirements for Student Employees
- Must be a Matriculated Student in a degree program (Undergraduate)
- Satisfactory academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above)
- Enrolled in at least 6 credits
Restrictions for Student Employees
- Students must not work during scheduled class times.
- Supervisors must maintain the class schedules for each employee.
- This is a federal regulation and must be followed even when classes are cancelled.
- Cannot work over 20 hours per week (all positions combined).
Student Employment Pay Range
The current pay range for student positions is $12.75 (minimum wage) to $15.75 per hour. This range will allow supervisors the ability to more accurately compensate students with higher levels of responsibility and seniority. It is our understanding that the minimum wage is scheduled to raise to $13.50 per hour on January 2, 2021.
Please be aware, work study students have a set financial aid award amount and the number of hours available for work can be calculated from the hourly rate. For non-work study, there are department budget considerations and you must only hire the number of vacancies approved by Budget.
Just as a reminder, we cannot stress enough the importance of communication and more so now while we are working both on campus and remotely. As a supervisor, you have the responsibility of communicating with your student employees. The students need to be reminded of deadlines for payroll as well as other department communication. If your student is working remotely, you must be in contact with the student regarding assignments and documentation of the work.
Student Employment Office
Student Employment will be working remotely. Please call or email the office at SEINQUIRY@bridgew.edu for any inquiries.
**More information to follow in regards to how we will process new hire paperwork.**