Physical Education, Adapted Physical Education and Sport Concentration, MS
This program is designed for individuals with an undergraduate major in physical education, or its equivalent, who wish to pursue new career directions related to the field in community-based organizations, such as business, industry, agencies, hospitals and educational settings or who wish to enhance their undergraduate preparation through advanced study. This concentration is designed to prepare individuals to work with children, youth, and adults with disabilities.
Applicants who do not possess an adequate background in physical education and/or related areas will be required to make up course deficiencies. Such background course work will not be applied to the graduate program’s minimum credit requirement
The MS in Physical Education is a professional degree program designed for individuals with an undergraduate major in physical education who wish to obtain professional licensure or enhance their undergraduate preparation through advanced study.
The MS in Physical Education program offers:
- Courses in the new Adrian Tinsley Center, equipped with state of the art exercise physiology and biomechanics labs and equipment
- Courses offered in the late afternoon or evening, and during the summer to accommodate the working professional
- When appropriate, individualized study can be provided through directed studies, theses or projects
- Opportunities to take elective courses outside the department
- Small classes facilitating a more personalized learning experience
- Benefits of a state institution that has been training teachers for more than 170 years
- Affordable tuition, whether you live in state or out of state
Graduate Program Coordinator: Dr. Karen Richardson
- Online application and $50 application fee
- Transcripts - Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- Minimum GPA - Minimum GPA of 2.75 based upon four years of work or a minimum GPA of 3.0 based upon work completed during the junior and senior years
- *GRE Scores - A composite score of 290 or greater on the quantitative and verbal parts of the GRE
- Letters of Recommendation - Three appropriate letters of recommendation (one from a supervisor)
- Personal Statement -Prepare a brief, but careful statement regarding the reasons you want to pursue graduate work in this field, your specific interest and experiences in this field, and your career goals
*Applicants are eligible for the GRE waiver if they have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher from an accredited college or university.
Fall Semester: April 1
Spring Semester: October 1
Summer Sessions: February 1
PHED 508 - Motor Learning
PHED 511 - Research Methods in Physical Education
PHED 595 - Internship in Physical Education
SPED 551 - Autism Spectrum Disorders
SPED 561 - Advanced Strategies in Behavior Management
SPED 575 - Behavior Interventions in Special Education
SPED 582 - Technology for Special Populations
All students must take the comprehensive examination, or complete an oral defense of a thesis (PHED 502-Research) or an oral defense of a project (PHED 501-Physical Education Project) under the guidance of an adviser.
Total Minimum Credits: 30
The College of Graduate Studies provides various opportunities for graduate students to receive funding while working towards their degrees. Appointments are competitive and are determined by undergraduate and/or graduate grade point averages, pertinent experience, educational preparation and interviews. For information on assistantships, fellowships and conference funding awards, please visit our Graduate Funding Opportunities page.
The MS in Physical Education program is eligible for unsubsidized student loans and applicants are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. For more specific questions, please visit the Financial Aid Office website or contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in learning more about Bridgewater? View an online copy of our viewbook!
View our graduate events page to RSVP to information sessions, workshops and seminars.
Bridgewater offers competitive tuition and fees for graduate students both in and out of state.
Create an account to start your application to a graduate program today!