This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

BSU Dictionary


  • Academic Advisor - An individual assigned/selected to help a student plan their course of study 
  • Blackboard - Provides web space for course resources and activities, assignment submissions, gradebook and more  
  • BSU mobile app - Features student services including courses, cancellations, safety, dining halls, events, holds, ebill, bus tracker, connect card, smart parking and more 
  • Credits - Units a school uses to indicate if a student has completed and passed courses required for a degree. Each school defines the total number and type required for graduation. 
  • DegreeWorks - Tool that assists students to track graduation process, academic requirements, GPA, advisor information and more 
  • Double Major - A program of study allowing a student to complete the course requirements for two majors at the same time.  
  • Drop - To withdraw from a course.   
  • Electives - Courses students can choose to take for credit toward a degree but are not required.  
  • Grade Point Average (GPA) - a number showing overall academic performance and is often used to determine eligibility for ongoing scholarships and grants 
  • Infobear - Houses personal information, financial aid, academic records, and more 
  • Registrar - The college official who registers students, keeps and maintains students’ files. 
  • Registration - The process in which students choose and enroll in courses 
  • Transcript - A student’s official record of his or her coursework at a school or college 

Financial Terms

  • Dependent Student - Dependent students report their parent(s) income on the FAFSA and this is calculated when the Federal Government determines the amount of aid provided. Learn more about independent/dependent status at
  • Entrance Counseling - A mandatory information session which takes place before a student receives their first federal student loan that explains their responsibilities and rights as a student borrower.  
  • Federal Pell Grant - A federal grant for undergraduate students with financial need. Grants are financial aid – often based on a student’s demonstrated financial need – that do not need to be repaid.  
  • Federal School Code - An identifier the U.S. Department of Education assigns to each college or career school that participates in the federal student aid programs. Students need the school code to send their FAFSA info to the school- BSU's code is 002183   
  • Federal Student Loan - A loan funded by the federal government to help pay for students’ education that a student must repay with interest   
  • Federal Work-Study - A program providing part-time employment to students while they are enrolled in school to help pay for their education expenses  
  • Internship - An experience allowing students to work in a professional environment to gain training and skills.

Dining Halls

  • Bear’s - Bear’s Den  
  • Crim - Crimson Dining Hall 
  • ECC - East Campus Commons 
  • Tilly - Flynn Dining Hall (Tillinghast Hall)  

Buildings on Campus

  • DMF - Dana Mohler-Faria Science and Mathematics Center  
  • Shea Durg - Shea and Durgin Residence Halls  

Residence Life and Housing

  • AC - Area Coordinator  
  • ISO - Institutional Security Officer  
  • RA - Resident Assistant  
  • RD - Resident Director 
  • RLC - Residential Learning Community  
  • ResLife/RLH - Residence Life and Housing 
  • SS0 - Student Security Officer  

Student Organizations

  • PC- Program Council 
  • RHA- Residence Hall Association 
  • SGA - Student Government Association  

Campus Departments

  • AAC - Academic Achievement Center 
  • CSE - Center for Student Engagement
  • IT - Information Technology 
  • LGCIE - Lewis and Gaines Center for Inclusion and Equity 
  • MRISJ - Martin Richard Institute for social Justice  
  • OID - Office of Institutional Diversity  
  • UE - University Events