Task Force Update - 5/21/2020
Excerpt from COVID 19: Safe Return Update and Student Fees – A Message from President Clark 5/21/20
BSU’s planning for the safe return of students and employees to campus is well underway. Two weeks ago I announced the formation of the Safe Return Task Force led by Provost Karim Ismaili. The Task Force and its four subcommittees – Academic Continuity, Student Life, Facilities and Logistics, and External Community Outreach – have identified several possible scenarios and are actively developing plans for each contingency.
The four subcommittees have been tasked with submitting their recommendations to the Safe Return Task Force by June 3. The Task Force is expected to complete its review of these recommendations one week later and submit a final report to me by June 18. The university will announce its fall semester plans by July 1.
This work is highly complex, and these are aggressive timelines, but it is critical that we make definitive plans within the next six weeks so our community has sufficient time to prepare for the fall semester. While conditions are constantly evolving, academic offerings will almost assuredly involve a combination of in-person and remote learning in order to minimize the density and enhance the safety of the on-campus population. While we are planning to be on campus come the fall, next semester will be very different than prior openings.
In order to share information with the BSU campus community, the Safe Return Task Force will post information on an ongoing basis to this website.
About BSU's Safe Return Task Force
Led by Provost Karim Ismaili, this group is charged with planning and coordinating the safe return of students and employees to campus in fall 2020. While the timing and manner of this return will largely be determined by advice from state public health officials and Governor Baker, BSU will prepare for our return through detailed scenario-planning. The Task Force will consider what we have learned from our response to the public health crisis including more flexible work arrangements and online/remote teaching and learning.
Until a vaccine is developed, containing and mitigating the impact of COVID-19 will be our utmost priority, existing alongside our mission of educating and ensuring the success of our students. How we advance our mission in the face of this public health threat we are all facing will be central to the work of the task force.
Safe Return Task Force Core Membership
- Karim Ismaili, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Task Force Chair)
- Janet Cartwright, BSU Campus Unit I Steward, AFSCME
- Jeanean Davis-Street, Dean, Ricciardi College of Business
- Sherry Dray, Project Manager, President’s Office
- Chris Frazer, Executive Director, Wellness Center
- Mary Grant, Senior Administrative Fellow for Civics and Social Justice
- Maria Hegbloom, BSU Chapter President, MSCA
- Paul Jean, Vice President for Marketing and Communications
- Cindy Kane, Special Assistant to the Provost for Strategic Initiatives
- Deniz Leuenberger, Chief of Staff and Vice President for Planning and Strategy
- Keri Powers, Vice President for Human Resources and Talent Management
- Anna Rice, President, Student Government Association (SGA)
- Libby Sergey, President, Graduate Professional Student Association (GPSA)
- Mike Storey, BSU Chapter President, APA
- Doug Shropshire, Vice President for Finance
- Steve Zuromski, Acting Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
Safe Return Task Force Subcommittees
- Karen Jason, Vice President for Operations (Chair, Facilities and Logistics Subcommittee)
- Brenda Molife, Vice President for Outreach and Engagement (Chair, External Community Outreach Subcommittee)
- Joe Oravecz, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management (Chair, Student Affairs and Residence Life Subcommittee)
- Michael Young, Senior Associate Provost and Chief Data Officer (Chair, Academic Continuity Subcommittee)
Task Force Timeline
May 13: Task Force Meeting
May 20: Task Force Meeting
May 21: Update to Campus Community
May 27: Task Force Meeting
May 28: Update to Campus Community
June 3: Task Force Meeting
June 4: Update to Campus Community
June 10: Task Force Meeting
June 11: Update to Campus Community
June 17: Final Task Force Meeting
June 18: Update to Campus Community
Final Report to be released on or before June 25