“Students were forbidden to fraternize with the opposite sex; the consequence was expulsion. Slavery was legal. Women couldn’t vote. Martin Van Buren was soon to lose his bid for re-election to the presidency....Into this world view, in a small town in Southeastern Massachusetts, a band of pioneers set their sights on educational reform. One name, in particular, stands tall. It was his vision, his drive, his perseverance and his believe in education as the great equalizer for all citizens that spearheaded the launch of the commonwealth’s normal schools—Horace Mann, the father of American education. From humble beginnings, the Bridgewater Normal School evolved from a one-room schoolhouse located in the old town hall with 28 students to Bridgewater State University with its 270-acre campus serving more than 11,000 students."
[Source: Not to be Ministered Unto, But to Minister: Bridgewater State University 1840-2010 by Thomas R. Turner]
Location: Bridgewater, Massachusetts with campuses in Attleboro, Cape Cod and New Bedford
Motto: "Not to be Ministered Unto but to Minister."
School Colors: Crimson and White
Students of Color
Safest Campus in America
First-Year Student Enrollment
Enrolled: 1,611 – largest ever freshman class to enroll
*Fall 2019 numbers
Undergraduate students: 9,463
Graduate students: 1,418
Total Enrollment: 10,881
*Fall 2019 numbers
Bachelor’s degrees: 2,036
Master’s degrees: 446
Post-Master’s Certificates: 21
Total degrees awarded: 2,563
*2018-2019 academic year
Gender: 3,911 male / 5,552 female
2,750 students of color
957 transfer students
53% first generation-students
Full-Time Faculty: 361
Full-Time Faculty Holding Doctoral or Other Terminal Degrees: 93%
Gender: 166 male / 195 female
- Asian: 30
- Black: 12
- Hispanic: 8
- Native American: 2
- White: 245
- Other/Mixed: 33
Tuition and Fees
39 buildings on 278 acres
10th Largest four-year college or university in Massachusetts
11 residence halls and 1 student apartment on campus. (Housing available for undergraduate, graduate and continuing studies students.)
We have our own T stop
Satellite Campuses in Attleboro, Cape Cod and New Bedford
average students per class
student clubs and organizations
Accreditations and Certifications
Bridgewater State University student athletes compete at the NCAA Division III Level and are members of ECAC, MASCAC, and the Little East
- 22 NCAA Division III teams for men and women
- 9 club sports
- 14 intramural sports
- Recognized as one of the best universities in the nation for outstanding undergraduate research offerings.
- BSU ranks among the top 36 four-year, public higher education institutions in the nation on how it serves black students, according to a University of Southern California Race and Equity Center study.
- BSU has been recognized for rising rates of graduation for Bridgewater students overall, and for closing achievement and opportunity gaps for students of low-income, Pell Grant-eligible families, students of color and male students.
- BSU named one of the top Fulbright-producing institutions - Their accomplishments show Bridgewater can match the experiences students have at private universities.
- BSU is ranked fourth in a 2020 survey of the top 25 safest college campuses in America, based on a new analysis of FBI and Department of Education data.
Want more facts?
Bridgewater State University Factbook, 2018-2019
The Factbook is a profile of Bridgewater State University - a snapshot of official census counts, taken four weeks into the Fall semester. The link below pertains to the most recent Factbook (Academic Year 2018-2019).