This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

Transition Specialist Endorsement, Graduate Certificate

students in classroom

Graduate Chair:

Ashley Rodrigues
Assistant Professor & Chairperson for Graduate Studies
Bridgewater State University

The Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate is designed to provide previously licensed teachers with the knowledge and competencies to specialize in the instructional strategies appropriate for students transitioning from special education to adult life. The four-course program of study ensures all of the subject matter knowledge standards for the Transition Specialist Endorsement are met. The Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate can be taken as an independent certificate program or as an embedded course sequence within an existing MEd program.

Admissions Requirements

Candidates for the Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate must have an existing initial or professional license as a:

  • Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities
  • Teacher of Students with Severe Disabilities
  • Teacher of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
  • Teacher of the Visually Impaired, School Guidance Counselor
  • School Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor

 Qualifications for endorsement by the DESE requires a pre-existing license from which the transition specialist endorsement may be added.

In addition to a completed application, every applicant should submit the following:

  • An official college transcript of the completed baccalaureate degree
  • An official college transcript of graduate course work (if applicable)


The program of study for the Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate can be taken as an independent graduate certificate of endorsement or as an embedded course sequence within the MEd programs in Special Education. The course sequence includes three courses providing content knowledge and competencies for working with students transitioning from special education to adult life, and a practicum providing evidence of the application of these competencies within the field.

Required Courses 

SPED 532 - Introduction to Transition Planning
SPED 533 - Assessment Procedures for Transition in Special Education
SPED 534 - Curricula and Program Design for Transition in Special Education
SPED 584 - Practicum: Transition Planning (3-6 credits)

 Total minimum credits: 12-15

***For the most up-to-date information regarding course descriptions, please visit our University Catalog.

Graduate Student in classroom
View this PDF for an overview of the College of Graduate Studies.
Grad students in class
View our graduate events page to RSVP to information sessions, workshops and seminars.
Movement Arts Halth Promotion Leisure Studies Classroom
Bridgewater offers competitive tuition and fees for graduate students both in and out of state.
A Studying Graduate Student
Create an account to start your application to a graduate program today!