Professional Tennis Management Graduate Certificate
The Professional Tennis Management (PTM) Graduate Certificate at Bridgewater State University provides students with emphasized development of the knowledge and skills related to teaching and coaching the sport of tennis. Opportunities for employment as a tennis professional extend beyond the role of tennis instructor. Potential careers include Tennis Facilities Managers or Directors, Equipment Developers, Head Coaches for Men's and Women's Tennis Teams, Camp Directors, Sales Representatives, Marketing Directors, Event Coordinators, Resort Managers, Tennis Trainers, and Youth Tennis Instructors.
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of tennis within the United States, and was appointed as such by the United States Olympic Committee (USOC). The USTA trains players, organizes and stages competitions, and promotes the growth of the sport of tennis within the United States.
The USTA has set an objective to increase the quantity and quality of tennis coaching professionals throughout the United States. The USTA formalized a partnership with Bridgewater State University in 2017, with the goal of working together to oversee the education of career-driven and well-rounded tennis coaching professionals.
The USTA-endorsed, Professional Tennis Management (PTM) Graduate Certificate:
- One year, 16-credit graduate certificate
- Low residency, cohort-based program
- All PTM courses available online or hybrid, with the exception of a required 10-day, on-campus summer residency
- A 3-credit internship experience in the tennis industry required*
- Enrolling Summer 2019
*With permission of the graduate coordinator, a student demonstrating evidence of current or prior experience as a tennis professional may opt to complete an approved elective course in lieu of the internship experience.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Jennifer Mead
Applicants must meet the below criteria in order to be admitted into the Graduate Certificate Program by the College of Graduate Studies and the College of Education and Allied Studies.
- Completed Graduate Certificate application (apply online http://www.bridgew.edu/admissions/graduate/apply)
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work
- A 2.8 overall GPA based on four years’ work for the undergraduate degree
- Current resumé, including evidence of tennis experience, including coaching background, participation, recognitions and awards, and/or other related experience.
- Two letters of recommendation. One must be from a current or former tennis trainer, tennis coach, or other tennis professional, and must address the applicant’s playing ability (current or in the past), and potential for future success as a tennis professional.
- Evidence of current or past certification through PTR or USPTA (recommended).
* Admission decisions to the Graduate Certificate Program are made on a rolling basis.
Successful completion of following courses, including participation in a mandatory 10-day, on-campus summer residency, is required to earn the Professional Tennis Management Graduate Certificate:
PHED 538 Introduction to Professional Tennis Management
PHED 548 Teaching Beginning Tennis Techniques
PHED 558 Teaching Advanced Tennis Techniques
PHED 568 Foundations of Effective Sport Coaching
PHED 578 Organization & Administration for Professional Tennis Managers
PHED 595* Internship in Physical Education
3-9 credits (variable)
*With permission of the graduate coordinator, a student demonstrating evidence of current or prior experience as a tennis professional may opt to complete an approved elective course in lieu of the internship experience (PHED 595).
Interested in learning more about Bridgewater? View an online copy of our viewbook!
View our graduate events page to RSVP to information sessions, workshops and seminars.
Bridgewater offers competitive tuition and fees for graduate students both in and out of state.
Create an account to start your application to a graduate program today!