This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

Always consult with ISSS before starting any employment. It is extremely important to keep in mind that it is your responsibility to engage only in employment authorized as permissible for F-1/J-1 students. F-1/J-1 students are non-immigrants. Therefore, they are not eligible for Financial Aid. International students are permitted to work on campus. Employment is not guaranteed. Students are hired based on merit and experience. Students may work part-time (up to 20 hours) during the semester and full-time (20+ hours) during summer and winter vacations. You must be enrolled full time and making academic progress in order to be eligible to work. Please refer to the employment categories listed in this guide for details, requirements, and limitations. 

Finding a Job

​There are three different employers on campus that international students are eligible to work for. Students looking to work for a BSU department can search through the On-Campus Employment Database. When navigating this database be sure that you have selected to search only student positions. International students may apply for positions listed for all students or non-work study positions. International students are not eligible for work study only positions. Undergraduate students are not eligible for positions listed as graduate assistantships. In addition to BSU, international students are eligible to work for Sodexo (Dining Halls) and Efollett (Student Bookstore). Both of these employers are private companies who do not post job openings on the BSU Employment Database. If you are interested in working for either company you should ask to speak with a manager to inquire if any positions are currently available. Please note that international students are only eligible for employment that takes place on campus or through BSU directly. If you are hired by either Sodexo or Efollett, all employment must be conducted​ on the BSU main campus.

Social Security Number (SSN)

You must provide written proof that you have been hired by an on-campus department to apply for a Social Security Number. New students (entering the U.S. on an "Initial" I-20 or DS-2019) are strongly advised to wait for a minimum of ten (10) days after arrival in the United States before applying for a Social Security Number (SSN). This gives the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) sufficient time to record your arrival and confirm your immigration status in their databases. 

In order to apply for a SSN, students must first obtain a signature from the on-campus supervisor on the appropriate verification form and request ISSS to verify this information. These forms can be found in the Forms and Information Section.

Students must then apply for a SSN at the Social Security Administration (SSA). Visit for the online application form, required documents, and address of the local SSA office. Contact ISSS immediately if you experience a problem.

On-Campus Employment

Students are eligible to work on-campus on a part time basis, which is defined as 20 hours per week or less when school is in session. During vacation periods (summer and winter), you may work on campus full-time. You must provide written proof that you have been hired by an on-campus department to apply for a social security number (one time only). After you receive your social security card, you must report to the office of Student Employment​ complete necessary paperwork before you start working.​

Tax Information

If hired to work on-campus please review and complete the Tax Information for International Student and Scholars​ provided by Payroll and Human Resources.​

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services

Dr. Edward Minnock Institute for Global Engagement
25 Park Terrace
Bridgewater State University
Bridgewater, MA 02325
United States