- EXCEL students may enroll in any BSU course where they meet the prerequisites.
- Using a Person-Centered Planning approach, EXCEL staff help students identify personal interests and career goals, which help guide their course selections.
- Education Coaches hired through BSU accompany students to campus, providing individualized supports as needed.
- Education Coaches attend classes with their students, making sure to blend in as much as possible while providing academic support.
- The goal is for students to become as independent as possible and for Education Coaches to fade their support throughout the year.
- Student and Education Coach teams meet on a regular basis with the EXCEL staff for support in accessing college resources.
- Students meet with program staff to set short-term goals that will help them work toward the long-term vision they have for their future.
- Program Staff provide on-going assistance to student and Education Coach teams.
- EXCEL students work on their career goals during career check-in meetings and internships.
- Students create a career path based on their personal goals, interests and vocational assessments.
- Students work to develop their own personal career portfolios which will assist them as they pursue paid employment opportunities.
- Students are involved in a variety of internships where they build employment skills which help prepare them for paid employment.
- Using evaluation tools, students and staff track and evaluate progress on the job site.
- Students gain confidence as they monitor their own development throughout the year and build upon their own success.
- EXCEL students enjoy everything BSU has to offer by getting involved in campus clubs, activities, events, and organizations.
- Students are paired with BSU peer mentors, who help them assimilate to college life.
- By attending campus events, students make new friends, foster their social and communication skills, and become more independent.
- Students truly become part of the BSU community.