Survivors & Dependents' Educational Assistance Program
Under Chapter 35, children, spouse, or surviving spouse of a veteran may be eligible for educational assistance if the veteran:
- Died while on active duty,
- Died after release of discharge from active duty of a service related disability,
- Became permanently disabled as a result of service related disability,
- Died while a service related disability was rated permanent or total, or
- Has been listed as missing in action, captured, detained or injured in the line of duty by a foreign government or power for more than 90 days.
Entitlement and Duration of Eligibility:
Entitlement includes monthly benefits of full-time study (or equivalent part-time) for a period of 45 months.
Generally, a dependent child's benefits ends on his or her 26th birthday. However, the delimiting dates very and are subject to modification in some cases. Questions concerning the specific dates of eligibility or entitlement amounts for this program should be addressed to the V. A. Regional Office, Boston, MA or call 1-800-827-1000.
Forms Required for Enrollment
- Completed application - Form 22-5490 or 22-1995 (School Change)
- Verification of acceptance into a degree program (Admissions or Graduate School)
- Completed Veterans Information Form each and every semester!