This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

If you are looking to​ hire or have already hired an international student please read below.

International students are required to consult with ISSS before starting any employment, because it is their responsibility to engage only in employment authorized as permissible for F-1/J-1 students. F-1/J-1 students are non-immigrants. Therefore, they are not eligible for Financial Aid and many are eager to work to help off-set some of their expenses. International students are permitted to work on campus in non-work study positions. Students may work part-time (up to 20 hours) during the semester and full-time (20+ hours) during summer and winter vacations. All students must be enrolled full time and making academic progress in order to be eligible to work.

A Social Security Number (SSN) is required of all student employees. International students are not eligible to apply for a social security number until they have secured an on-campus job offer. Some students may already have a SSN from previous employment in the U.S. If that is the case there is no need for the student to apply for a new SSN. They may use the same number they were originally issued.​

If a student does not already have a SSN they will require the signature and approval of their direct supervisor on the Verification of On-campus Employment​ form. Once signed by the supervisor and returned to the student the student will need to bring the form to ISSS for authorization. Once authorized the student may take the form to a Social Security Administration (SSA) office to request a social security number. 

If a student is hired by Sodexo or eFollett and does not already have a SSN the student will need to complete the appropriate Verification of On-campus Employment form.

Sodexo: Verification of On-campus (Sodexo) Employment

eFollett: Verification of On-campus (eFollett) Employment​​

Please note that the SSA requests that F-1/J-1 visa holders wait 10 days after entering the U.S. before applying for a SSN. This is to provide enough time for their entry to be properly reported. Once a student applies for a SSN they should receive their card within 2 weeks. Sometimes the SSA sends a student’s application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for additional review. If this happens it should not negatively reflect on the student. It just means that USCIS may take an additional 4 weeks to process the request. One of the common reasons the SSA may do this is if a student’s name is longer than 16 characters. The Social Security Card has a 16 character limit and the SSA defers to USCIS for final comment on adjusting the student’s name. 

Once a student has a SSN they will need to complete a Confirmation of On-campus Employment​ form. The student will complete the top portion of the form and submit it to their on-campus supervisor. The middle section will need to be completed by the supervisor and returned to the student. Once returned the student will need to bring the form to ISSS for authorization. Once authorized the student will take the form to Student Employment/Human Resources in Boyden Hall if hired by a BSU department. If the student was hired by either Sodexo or eFollett the student should return the form to the hiring manager/department of the company which hired them.

Once a student has obtained a SSN, completed the Confirmation of On-campus Employment​ form and signed in with Student/Employment or the hiring manager/department for Sodexo or eFollett then they may begin lawful employment.

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services

Dr. Edward Minnock Institute for Global Engagement
25 Park Terrace
Bridgewater State University
Bridgewater, MA 02325
United States