The town of Bridgewater is approximately 28 miles (43 km) south of Boston, which is the capital city of Massachusetts. The MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) conveniently has a train stop right in the middle of the Bridgewater State University campus. It takes approximately 50 minutes by train to South Station, Boston. View the MBTA commuter rail schedule information. BSU is right in the center of the town of Bridgewater; supermarkets, pharmacies, banks, restaurants, etc. are within a short walking distance. There is a free shuttle bus service to take students around the campus itself; however there are no public transportation buses in the greater area. For places off the train route or past easy walking distance, we encourage you to make friends with their own vehicles to help you out.
There are different ways to travel through the area. Some options include:
Massachusetts Transportation System
- Within the city of Boston there is a subway system (called the "T") that is great for getting around the city. The MBTA provides transportation on trains and busses. Different routes and trains are assigned by color. Visit mbta.com for bus schedules and fare prices.
- The Commuter Rail, "Purple Line" is located on campus behind Crimson Hall. Price differs depending on the location you are traveling to. Download the MBTA Commuter Rail App to pay ahead of time using a debit/credit card. An individual may also pay in cash on the train. If you travel into the city often, the Commuter Rail Mobile App allows an individual to buy a 10 ride package, BSU also offers a discounted semester pass.
- BSU is located on the Middleborough/Lakeville line.
Uber and Lyft
- Mobile apps that allows individuals to enter their destination, receive a quoted price and have a car pick them up and drop them off at their destination. Rates vary depending upon the location, time of day, holidays and distance. Set up your account ahead of time so when you nee a rid it is ready for you.
- Uber: uber.com
- Lyft: lyft.com
- Use Google to search for a taxi company near you. Call the taxi company and give your location. A taxi will be dispatched to pick you up and drop you off at your desired location. The price depends on the distance and amount of time the trip takes.
- A&A Metro: Local Bridgewater area taxi company, aametro.com
BSU Transit Bus
- BSU Transit operates seven days a week around the academic calendar, both on campus as well as into Brockton’s BAT Centre. This is always a free service and is student run. All of the drivers are students and hold their Commercial Drivers License (CDL), BSU Transit also have student managers, and are always hiring. All of the buses are ADA accessible. For more information regarding the updated schedule, real-time bus tracking, and up-to-date information as well as any changes, delays, etc. please visit, www.bsutransit.com