This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

Massachusetts Transfer Programs

In Massachusetts, the Department of Higher Education (DHE) and the state’s 29 public colleges and universities work together to provide numerous programs to encourage and expedite the transfer of credits from one state school to another. Each of these transfer programs focuses on a different aspect of the transfer process.


If you are transferring from one Massachusetts public higher education institution to another, the new MassTransfer program will make the process easier. When applying for admission, please use the online transfer application located on Undergraduate Admissions or Transfer Central. Select MassTransfer when the drop/down menu appears. You will not be required to pay the application fee if you transfer as part of the MassTransfer program.

MassTransfer has two main purposes:

  • To provide community college students who complete associate degrees and enroll in linked MassTransfer Programs with full transfer of credit, guaranteed admission, and a tuition discount (each based on final GPA); and
  • To provide any student in the Massachusetts public higher education system who completes the MassTransfer General Education Foundation (formerly known as MassTransfer Block) the benefit of satisfying the core (general education) requirements at any other public higher education institution, with the receiving institution able to add no more than six additional credits or two courses.

The MassTransfer General Education Foundation refers to a set of core (general education ) requirements, consisting of 34 college-level credits. These credits, when completed together with a 2.0 or higher GPA, fully transfer to any Massachusetts public higher education institution, even if you don't have your associate's degree. These credits also satisfy the core (general education) requirements at any other Massachusetts public higher education institution, with the receiving institution being able to add no more than six additional credits/two courses.

The MassTransfer General Education Foundation STEM Block refers to a set of core (general education ) requirements, consisting of 28 college-level credits. Students must obtain an associate degree to qualify for this program and must be in a STEM A2B Mapped Pathway (Computer Science, Biology, Environmental, Engineering, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics). The 28-credit STEM Gen Ed Foundation Block allows community college students to take more STEM courses while earning their associate degrees. Bridgewater requires a spoken communication, logical reasoning, Behavioral or Social Science and Humanities or Fine Arts. Students who satisfy this requirement through transfer credits do not have to take additional courses.

MassTransfer Tuition Credit

Students who complete an A2B Degree with a 3.00 or greater GPA will receive the MassTransfer Tuition Credit for two years at the state university or University of Massachusetts campus, provided they (1) matriculate within one year of receiving an associate degree; (2) enroll continuously (full-time or part-time) in day program; and (3) achieve 3.00 GPA after the first two semesters.

A2B Degree

Complete an approved MassTransfer A2B (Associate to Bachelor's) Degree.

A2B Degree Plus Commonwealth Commitment

A2B Degree Plus Commonwealth Commitment: You enroll full-time and earn a 3.00 GPA. The Commonwealth lowers your costs.

Reverse Transfer

A new option for completing your associate's degree while earning your bachelor's degree.

If you have completed at least 30 college-level credits at a Massachusetts community college prior to transferring to Bridgewater State University, you may be eligible to receive an associate’s degree using credits you earn while pursuing your bachelor’s degree.  The program is called Reverse Transfer.  To enroll in Reverse Transfer, all you have to do is fill out a participation form that will authorize the sharing of your academic transcript between Bridgewater State University and your community college.   

If you would like to know more Reverse Transfer, contact the Transfer Center at 508-531-2686 or email

The Value for Students

  • Students who complete their associate's degrees are more likely to stay enrolled and finish their bachelor's degrees.
  • Any certifications, pay raises, and promotions are often based on the attainment of a degree, so it is to your benefit to be awarded your associate's degree when you've earned it.
  • If your pursuit of a bachelor's degree is interrupted, you will already have a college degree - the associate's degree - to count to your credit.
  • Since you received your associate's degree while paying for your bachelor's degree, you effectively complete two degrees at the same time. 
  • Students will not incur any costs associate with this Reverse Transfer program, i.e. transcript and graduation fees.

How the Process Works

  • Submit a participation form giving your current university permission to send transcript information back to your community college;
  • Upon receiving your form, the community college will send you a degree audit identifying your outstanding requirements;
  • Continue taking classes toward your bachelor' degree, while considering whether some might also help you complete your associate's degree;
  • When you have met all degree requirements at the community college, the college will send you an application for graduation; 
  • Return the application and you will receive your diploma and an invitation to the next graduation ceremony.

A few things to remember...

  • Students must be matriculated at the university and must have earned credits at the university.
  • The receipt of the associate's degree is contingent upon completing all of the degree requirements of the awarding community college, including the residency requirement and the minimum transfer grade requirement.
  • Students must be in "good academic standing" and in "good financial standing" at both institutions.
  • Students will Reverse Transfer into a default associate's degree in Liberal Arts or General Studies, unless  another option is agreed upon by the community college and the student.
  • Students who return to a community college to take courses after transferring to a university, must follow the "transfer of credit after admission" policy for that institution, in order to count the community college credit earned toward their bachelor's degree.
  • MassTransfer benefits can't be adjusted after original matriculation at the university.