The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Biology was developed for high school and middle school subject area teachers who have an initial license and are seeking a professional license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The MAT program is designed to meet the "appropriate master's degree" requirement, which is part of the criteria for professional stage licensure, as set forth in the most recent MA DESE licensure regulations. This degree program will also appeal to secondary school teachers who already hold a standard level or professional license and want to acquire additional knowledge and a master's degree in the discipline.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program provides a dynamic and inspiring learning environment, offering you countless opportunities to work side-by-side with peers, experienced classroom teachers and dedicated faculty in a collegial and supportive atmosphere. Integrating theory and practice, the program provides a balanced emphasis on building advanced teaching skills and deeper knowledge within a particular discipline.
The MAT program offers:
- Content-based Biology courses
- Diverse faculty with advanced degrees and extensive teaching and research experience
- A solid foundation in effective teaching, learning, research and communication skills
- A deeper understanding of instruction and assessment techniques for diverse learners
- Development of advocacy and leadership competencies
- Full and part-time program options
- Small classes that facilitate a more personalized learning experience
- Affordable tuition, whether you live in state or out of state
Graduate Program Coordinator: Dr. Kevin Curry
- Online application and $50 application fee
- Transcripts - Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- A Bachelor's degree
- Minimum GPA - Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 based upon four years of coursework or 3.0 GPA based upon work completed during the junior and senior years
- GRE - A composite score of 290 or greater on the quantitative and verbal parts of the GRE General Test.
- Letters of Recommendation - Three appropriate letters of recommendation, at least one letter of recommendation should be an academic reference from a professor
- Personal Statement - Prepare a brief, but careful statement regarding the reasons you want to pursue graduate work in this field, your specific interest and experiences in this field, and your career goals
- Initial Teaching License - An initial teaching license
Fall Semester: April 1
Spring Semester: October 1
Summer Sessions: February 1
GRPP 501 - Graduate Program Planning
EDMC 530 - The Teacher as Researcher
EDMC 531 - The Standards-Based Classroom: Curriculum
EDMC 532 - The Teacher as Leader: From Issues to Advocacy
EDMC 533 - The Standards-Based Classroom: Instruction and Assessment for Diverse Learners
EDMC 538 - The Professional Teacher
BIOE 511 - Advanced Biological Topics and Techniques
BIOE 513 - Advances in Cell/Molecular Biology
BIOE 514 - Advances in Biomedical/Physiological Biology
BIOE 515 - Advances in Ecological/Environmental Biology
BIOE 503 - Directed Study
Total Minimum Credits: 33
***For the most up-to-date information regarding course descriptions, please visit our University Catalog.
The College of Graduate Studies provides various opportunities for graduate students to receive funding while working towards their degrees. Appointments are competitive and are determined by undergraduate and/or graduate grade point averages, pertinent experience, educational preparation and interviews. For information on assistantships, fellowships and conference funding awards, please visit our Graduate Funding Opportunities page.
The Master of Arts in Teaching Music is eligible for unsubsidized student loans and applicants are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. For more specific questions, please visit the Financial Aid Office website or contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in learning more about Bridgewater? View an online copy of our viewbook!
View our graduate events page to RSVP to information sessions, workshops and seminars.
Bridgewater offers competitive tuition and fees for graduate students both in and out of state.
Create an account to start your application to a graduate program today!