Commencement is both a joyful and formal event. We ask that graduates and their guests adhere to the following guidelines to maximize enjoyment by all.
- Only Graduates are allowed in the graduate seating area and able to proceed across the stage to receive their degrees (exceptions may be made for graduates with accessibility issues).
- Alcohol is not permitted. Security officers will be present to seize any alcohol and to prohibit any graduate who may have already consumed alcohol from participating in the ceremony.
- Cell phones should be turned off or operate in silent mode during the ceremony.
- Any distracting noisemakers, such as air horns, or flying objects are prohibited and will be confiscated.
- Please do not take flash photographs during the ceremony. Professional photographs will be taken of each graduate as they receive their diploma from the president and another as they exit the stage.
- Balloons are not permitted in the student or guest seating areas. If you plan to purchase them, please wait until after the ceremony.
- Out of the respect for fellow graduates and their families, we ask that you return to your seat after crossing the stage and stay for the entire ceremony.
Security Precautions During Commencement
Although Bridgewater State University and Gillette Stadium do not anticipate any security problems during Commencement, public venues throughout the country are increasing security in light of recent events, and the university must take appropriate measures to ensure the safety and security of all students, faculty, staff, and guests.
Please observe the following restrictions for all Commencement activities at Gillette Stadium:
Gillette Stadium will be scanning all individuals entering the stadium for commencement and following the stadium clear bag policy.
The following items ARE allowed in the stadium and may be subject to inspection:
- Bags: Only gallon sized clear freezer bags, authorized clear bags measuring 12″ x 12″ x 6,” women’s wristlets or handheld wallets not to exceed 6.5″ x 4.5"
- Banners/Flags: Banners/Flags may be prohibited due to size or message content.
- Binoculars (without case)
- Cameras: Still cameras are allowed (without case). All video cameras are prohibited. Detachable lenses on still cameras may be detached during inspection.
- Small Electronics: Items such as cell phones, personal digital assistants, small transistor radios, small TV monitors, audio recording equipment, etc., will be allowed into the stadium but may have to be turned on during inspection.
- Baby Strollers
All acceptable items will be checked by security to ensure they are what they appear to be.
If you wish to request an exception to the stadium's bag policy, for medical supplies (e.g., breast pump, etc.) or dietary considerations, please send an email, at least 48 hours in advance of the event you plan to attend, to email@example.com. You will receive a response within 48 hours of sending your email.
All items brought into Gillette Stadium are subject to inspection. The following items are NOT permitted in the stadium:
- Animals (other than service animals assisting those with disabilities)
- Unmanned aerial vehicles including drones
- GoPro cameras and video cameras*
- Tripods or monopods
- Portable folding and/or standalone chairs
- Seat cushions with pockets or zippers
- Coolers or containers, including cans, bottles, and kegs
- Food or beverages***
- Illegal drugs and substances
- Weapons of any kind, including pocket/ utility knives
- Clothing or signs with wires, batteries or electronic components
- Selfie sticks or any stick or pole of any size
- Noisemakers, bullhorns, air horns, vuvuzelas
- Beach balls, lacrosse balls, inflatable soccer balls
- Fireworks, pyrotechnics, flares
- Laser pointers
- Hover boards and Segways
- Any item deemed inappropriate or dangerous by stadium management
*** If you wish to request an exception to the stadium’s bag policy, for medical supplies or dietary considerations please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Prohibited items will not be accepted at the stadium entrances for safekeeping. Please leave all prohibited items secured in your vehicle.
Do not leave personal belongings unattended at any time. Personal property will not be held for guests.