Bridgewater State University's Department of Dance currently accepts video auditions. You are invited to submit videos in which you perform a dance warm-up and a solo in the style of your choice (see audition criteria below). Applicants are asked to upload videos to a personal YouTube channel and include the URL (web address) in the audition form. The dance department recommends setting videos to "unlisted." Video auditions are accepted on a rolling basis.
Video Submissions (1-2 minutes each)
- A dance warm-up in a style of your choice (1-2 minutes)
- A solo in a style of your choice (1-2 minutes)
Essay (500 words or less)
- Describe your dance background and your aspirations in dance in 500 words or less.
- Who was your most influential teacher and why?
- What dance styles have you studied or practiced?
- Describe your participation in any workshops, cultural events, summer intensives or any teaching experiences in dance.
- What do you aspire to in your future as a dance professional?
Dance Audition Rubric
Auditions are evaluated on a 0-5 point scale, based on the following 10 movement concepts:
- Use of Breath
Effectively uses breath to support movement
- Spinal Articulation/Flexibility-Stability
Efficiently uses movement of each are of the spine (cervical, thoracic, lumbar spine, to coccyx)
- Dynamic Alignment/Body Placement
Effectively uses the body’s placement during movement; Uses alignment appropriate for the dance genre
- Dynamic Use of Space/Range of Motion
Effectively uses a wide range of space (levels; near, middle and far reach)
- Core/Distal Relationship
Efficiently uses energetic relationship between the body’s center and the limbs
- Use of Weight
Efficiently transfers weight; effectively weight shifts; effectively mobiles and stabilizes body
- Dynamic Use of Effort Qualities/Expressivity
Physically expresses intention and/or emotion in varied ways
- Motor Coordination
Demonstration of efficient coordination in locomotor, axial, and gestural movements
Ability to move responsively to music; independent of music, the ability to move with nuanced coherency where movement content is given physical and dynamic expression in and of itself and in relation to its parts
- Performance Presence
Ability to express the energy of being fully present and connected within the context of the movement; (Body, Mind, Spirit and Emotions)