The Creative Writing Concentration within the MA in English provides students the opportunity for advanced study of the art and craft of creative writing. Students who intend to pursue an MFA in creative writing, teach at the college or high school level, or pursue a career in editing, journalism, or professional writing may find this option particularly beneficial.
Admission requirement: Once students have completed 12 credits for the MA in English, including ENGL 500, they may elect a concentration in creative writing for their electives.
Core courses (18 credits): Complete the core courses as identified in the English MA. Note: A course taken to fulfill the MA in English core can NOT be double-counted for the creative writing concentration.
Concentration requirements (15 credits)
Required workshop course - Concentrators must take at least three credits in one of the
- ENGL 592 - Fiction Writing Workshop
- ENGL 593 - Poetry Writing Workshop
- ENGL 595 - Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop
Concentration electives: Select four additional courses from the following:
- ENGL 502 - MA Thesis (3 or 6 credits) in creative writing
- ENGL 503 - Directed Study (maximum 3 credits)
- ENGL 555 - International Study and Travel (with a creative writing focus)
- ENGL 591 - Topics in the Craft of Creative Writing (repeatable with different topics)
- ENGL 592 - Fiction Writing Workshop (repeatable)
- ENGL 593 - Poetry Writing Workshop (repeatable)
- ENGL 595 - Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop (repeatable)
- ENGL 599 - Internship (maximum of 3 credits)
- One course in literary studies (ENGL 570 - Topics in American Literature, ENGL 580 - Topics in British Literature, or ENGL 590 - Topics in World and Comparative Literature).
Exit Requirement: Complete the exit requirement (thesis or non-thesis) as identified in the English MA. Note: Courses taken for the exit requirement CAN double count for the concentration.