The Literature and Film Concentration within the MA in English provides students the opportunity for research and advanced study of literature and film. Students who seek careers in college or secondary school teaching, cultural institutions, publishing, or review-writing may find this option particularly beneficial.
Admission requirement: Once students have completed 12 credits for the MA in English, including ENGL 500, they may elect a concentration in literature and film for their electives.
Core courses (18 credits): Complete the core courses as identified in the English MA. Note: A course taken to fulfill the MA in English core, specifically the course requirements in literature, can NOT be double-counted for the literature and film concentration.
Concentration requirements (15 credits)
Complete five courses, selected from the following:
- ENGL 502 - MA Thesis (3 or 6 credits) on a literature or film topic
- ENGL 503 - Directed Study (maximum 3 credits)
- ENGL 540 - Working with Archives
- ENGL 555 - International Study and Travel (with a literature focus)
- ENGL 560 - Topics in Film *
- ENGL 567 - Literature Pedagogy
- ENGL 570 - Topics in American Literature *
- ENGL 580 - Topics in British Literature *
- ENGL 590 - Topics in World and Comparative Literature *
- ENGL 591 - Topics in the Craft of Creative Writing *
*repeatable with different topics
Exit Requirement: Complete the exit requirement (thesis or non-thesis) as identified in the English MA. Note: Courses taken for the exit requirement CAN double count for the concentration.