What does my student need to be successful living on campus?
Student should be conscientious about eating healthy balanced meals and getting regular exercise. It is also important that they are aware of and are attending to their emotional needs. If your student needs to talk with someone, the Counseling Center can help.
Knowledge of Campus Resources
Being Proactive with Academics
Financial Management Skills
The First Few Weeks on Campus
What to Expect this Semester
Parents are instrumental in providing support and assistance to their student. By listening to your student you can be a sounding board for them, providing support and perspective. You can help your student to understand their role in the process and empower them to affect their situation.
- Assure your student that having a roommate conflict is not a rare occurrence. Living with someone requires on going communication. Most roommates are able to resolve their conflict in a way that meets everyone's needs.
- Listen to your student as they explain the conflict; ask if it could be a misunderstanding instead of an intentional dispute.
- Find out if your student signed a Roommate Agreement and whether or not they have reviewed it lately.
- Ask whether they have sat down and had a heart to heart talk with their roommate(s) about the issue. Students often think they have communicated their feelings without having actually expressed them.
- Don't be afraid to question whether your student may have had a role in creating the conflict. Let them know you are not criticizing only suggesting a little self-examination. Reminding them that conflict has two sides. Encourage them to consider why their roommate(s) might see the situation from a different point of view.
- Ask if they have contacted their Resident Assistant, Resident Director, or the Office of Residence Life and Housing about the situation. If they have not please encourage them to do so.
- If your student is looking for additional information regarding roommate communication please refer them to our community living student resources.
We hope these tips will help you to help your student initiate a solution to a roommate conflict should one arise. If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback please contact us.