Health Services

Health Services

Contact Us

1st Floor - Weygand Hall | 508.531.1252 | 508.531.6193 (FAX)

Find Out More

Medical Conditions

ADHD Medication

Health Services does not prescribe medication for ADHD. The student must make arrangements with his or her primary care provider for ongoing prescriptions during the academic year.

Allergy Medication

Due to the potential of anaphylaxis, Health Services does not administer allergy shots. First-year students in need of frequent off-campus visits with an allergist may petition to have a car on campus by completing the Freshman Resident Parking Exemption Form, available in the Parking or Health Services offices.

Whooping Cough

View the Public Health Fact Sheet on Pertussis.

Flu 2012-2013

CDC High Flu Activity Report

MRSA Fact Sheet

Services Covered

General Medical Care

(free to all students)

  • Routine clinic visits with nurse practitioners or registered nurses
  • Appointments with nurse practitioners
  • Drop-in visits with registered nurses
  • Suture and staple removal
  • Health counseling
  • Laboratory work done on campus
  • Referrals (when necessary)
  • Women’s health

Other Available Services (at a cost)

  • Standard immunizations (at cost on your Connect Card)
  • Meningitis vaccination (price varies depending on market costs)
  • Sending out laboratory work (insurance covers a percentage in most cases)
  • Influenza vaccine (when available, price varies)

Federal confidentiality laws protect visits and conversations with medical staff. Health Services must maintain medical record and medical information as private, as dictated in the Notice of Privacy Practices posted in the lobby and handed to each patient at their first point-of-care visit. Health Services does not disclose information to parents or families unless explicitly authorized by the patient or in cases of emergency.

Eligibility & Services

Upon admission to Bridgewater, every full-time student is required to submit a completed and signed Health and Counseling Form along with official documentation of state-required immunizations. Official documentation of immunization may be provided by physicians, hospitals or prior schools and must include the month and year of immunization.

All registered students; commuters or residents, undergraduates or graduates, full or part-time, those taking on-line courses, off-campus courses or continuing education courses, are eligible to use Health Services during their enrollment (regardless of the type of insurance they carry). Students do not have to enroll in the university-sponsored insurance plan to use Health Services.

While Health Services has staff who are authorized to write prescriptions, the university does not have a pharmacy. CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid are all within walking distance of the campus. Students may visit Health Services on a walk-in basis or by making an appointment. All students who wish to be seen will be asked to provide or update their patient history so that we may provide the best care possible.

Emergencies & Transportation

In the event of an emergency, call 911 from a Bridgewater State University phone to reach university police. Calling 911 from a cell phone connects to the Massachusetts State Police in Framingham. University police will respond to on-campus 911 calls. When necessary, university police will arrange for ambulance transportation to the Brockton Hospital Emergency Room. Students are encouraged discuss transport with family and friends.

For non-emergency health concerns nights, weekends and holidays, call university police at 508.531.1212. University police will respond to assess the situation. If it is not an emergency but the student requires timely treatment, university police will call the local taxi service to transport the student to a local clinic, physician, or the emergency room. Health Services will pay for transportation to and from the facility. Students are encouraged discuss transport with family and friends.

During weekdays, call Health Services at 508.531.1252. Taxi transportation for student illness must be determined by Health Services and/or university police. Transportation will only be provided in the absence of transportation alternatives by family and /or friends. Bridgewater State University does not provide transportation for student-scheduled physician appointments.


Health Insurance

All full-time students and students carrying a three-quarter course load must provide proof of enrollment in a medical insurance plan that meets the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ mandated guidelines (laws) or be automatically enrolled in a college-sponsored plan.

Massachusetts universities are required to sponsor a health plan (with an outside, bid-initiated company) to provide full-time and three-quarter-time students an affordable option for health insurance if they are otherwise uncovered. Bridgewater’s student health insurance is provided by University Health Plans and is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Care Elect Preferred (PPO). The Plan provides coverage for illnesses and injuries that occur on and off campus and includes special cost-saving features to keep the coverage as affordable as possible.

For premium pricing, please see the link below. The policy is in effect from August 1 until July 31 each year. Students who have comprehensive health insurance can remove this fee from their bills by electronically waiving the insurance (see the description below) by the deadline of September 30 (for each fall semester) and by February 28 (for those who not enrolled in the fall). The waiver must be submitted each year. All international students must purchase the Bridgewater State University Health Insurance Plan.

To access the Bridgewater State University Sponsored Student Health Insurance, visit Students who enroll in the school sponsored plan must confirm payment with Student Accounts.

The waiver (proof of enrollment in one's own or one's parents' policy for the academic year), visit


All full-time students (undergraduate students taking 12 credits or more and graduate students taking nine credits or more) must provide proof of:

  • one dose of tetanus diphtheria vaccine (TD or Tdap) within the last 10 years
  • three doses of hepatitis B vaccine*
  • two doses of MMR vaccine* (or one dose of MMR if born before 1957)
  • two doses of Varicella
  • one tuberculosis skin test (within one year) for students from countries with high risk of tuberculosis. TB risk is higher for people who live in or travel to countries that have high rates of tuberculosis, for example, but not limited to:
    • Belize
    • Brazil
    • Cambodia
    • Cape Verdi
    • China
    • Colombia
    • Dominican Rep
    • El Salvador
    • Ghana
    • Guatemala
    • Haiti Honduras
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Mexico
    • Nepal
    • Nicaragua
    • Parts of the former Soviet Union
    • Portugal
    • South Africa
    • Spain
    • Sub-Saharan Africa
    • Sudan
    • The islands of Southeast Asia
    • Zambia
    • Zimbabwe

Newly entering residential students:

  • one dose of meningitis vaccine (within five years)

Students must present a certificate of meningitis immunization within the last five years or a signed waiver declining immunization at this time. A student (or the student's parent or guardian, if the student is a minor), may opt to sign a waiver which details that the student has received and reviewed information about the risks and dangers of meningococcal disease, has elected to decline the vaccine. The waiver must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Residential students, who have not submitted meningitis status, will be denied their room key. Bridgewater recommends meningitis immunization for all students (even though all students are not required by law to receive it). All full-time students (including full-time graduate students) must submit a completed student health history and immunization report form to Health Services. Massachusetts immunization laws apply to full-time students of all ages. Immunization requirements apply as well to international students attending or visiting classes as part of our academic exchange program.