This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.
- EXCEL students may enroll in any BSU course without prerequisites for audit.
- Using a Person-Centered Planning approach, EXCEL staff help students identify personal interests and career goals, which help guide their course selections.
- Education Coaches hired through the partnering school district accompany students to BSU, providing individualized supports as needed.
- Education Coaches attend classes with their students, making sure to blend in as much as possible while providing academic supports.
- The goal is for students to become as independent as possible and for Ed Coaches to fade their support throughout the year.
- Student and Education Coach teams meet on a regular basis with the EXCEL staff for support in accessing college resources.
- Students meet with program staff to set short-term goals that will help them work toward the long-term vision they have for their future.
- Program Staff provide on-going assistance to student and Ed Coach teams.
- Students create a career path based on their personal goals, interests and vocational assessments.
- EXCEL students work on developing their employability skills during career check-in meetings and through participation in their internships.
- During the year, students work to develop their own career portfolios which will assist them as they pursue paid employment opportunities.
- Students gain hands-on experience in a variety of internships which they choose based on their personal interests and career goals.
- Job Coaches attend internships with students, providing guidance and support as needed.
- Using evaluation tools, students and staff track and evaluate progress on the job site.
- Students gain confidence as they monitor their own development throughout the year and build upon their own success.
- EXCEL students enjoy everything BSU has to offer by getting involved in campus clubs, activities, events, and organizations.
- Students are paired with BSU peer mentors, who help them assimilate to college life.
- By attending campus events, students make new friends, foster their social and communication skills, and become more independent.
- Students truly become part of the BSU community.