This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

International Scholars

international scholar Joy Zhang

Academic departments wishing to invite international scholars to campus for any reason are advised to check with ISSS as soon as possible to determine what visa type/recommendations are needed for the intended program. BSU is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor exchange visitors (J-1 visa) to teach and conduct research​ at BSU. ISSS is responsible for administering the exchange visitor program at BSU.

Meet Our Current Scholars

Steps For Prospective Incoming International Scholars and their BSU Faculty Hosts

  • Reach out to ISSS with initial inquiry and basic information on potential visiting scholar. This should include the length of time you would like to invite the scholar for and the nature of the work that will be performed by the scholar, e.g., teaching or conducting research.
  • Read the International Scholar Application Packet.​​
  • Work with the international scholar to obtain the supporting documents located within the International Scholar Application Packet.
  • Housing for scholar: ISSS may have availability within the International Scholar House. This is for guests over 18 and single guest only (no dependents). Alternative housing should be sought if the International Scholar House is unavailable.
  • Develop an academic support plan and/or schedule for the international scholar. This could be research hours, lab locations, classroom hours, courses to be taught, meetings with key BSU stakeholders, etc.
  • Develop welcome plan for the international scholar. Which key academic stakeholder(s) will meet within the first few days upon arrival?
  • Transportation to and from the airport for the scholar. How is the international scholar getting to BSU and then back to the airport at the end of their stay? ISSS can work to request Fleet Services, but that is subject the availability of student drivers and budget.
  • Social Security Number: Required for employment. If the scholar will teach a social security number is required. If the international scholar does not already have a number they will need to apply for one prior to beginning employment. The Social Security Administration recommends that exchange visitors wait 10 calendar days after entry into the US before applying for an SSN.

International Scholar Forms


When space is not available in the International Scholar House, scholars will be responsible for their own living arrangements​. To assist you in your search please visit the Off-Campus Housing Database.

There are two large apartment complexes within walking distance of campus. Waterford Village​ and Kingswood Park Village are both centrally located and within a 15-20 minute walk from campus.

Please note: ISSS does not endorse or recommend any housing other than the International Scholar House. The information provided above is to be used for informational purposes only. It is your responsibility​ to do your own research and secure your own housing. For more information on tenant rights please visit the Renting in Massachusetts Guide and Renter's Guide: Ten Tips for Tenants.

Local Schools

Long term International scholars traveling to the U.S. with children under the age of 18 will want to enroll their children in the local school system for the duration of stay in the U.S. For more information on the local school system please visit​​.

Please note all of the required documents for school registration must be translated into English. Some items and/or translations will require notarization. Some BSU employees​ are also notary publics and can notarize documents if necessary. View a full list of BSU notary publics.

Helpful Tips and Information

ISSS and Bridgewater State University provide you with information pertaining to banking, cellphones, apps, etc. We do not endorse or encourage​ one particular service or resource over any other.

Please visit the links below for more information:













Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services

Dr. Edward Minnock Institute for Global Engagement
25 Park Terrace
Bridgewater State University
Bridgewater, MA 02325
United States